Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Rusyn Christmas Tree

The Comfort Suites in Bethlehem PA has an exhibit of Christmas trees decorated to represent ethnic groups who have settled in and influenced the city.  After hearing that there was a Rusyn tree on display, I decided that a visit was in order.

Given Rusyns' history of being absorbed into larger ethnic and/or political groups, I somewhat was nervous that it would be a Ukrainian or Slovak or even Russian (gasp!) tree, with a mention of "oh yeah, some of these people identify as Rusyns".  I was thrilled to find an entire tree dedicated to Carpatho-Rusyn culture!

Me + Rusyn Christmas tree.  I look even shorter than usual!  
That's what you get when a tall person takes your photo!

The tree had a variety of ornaments on it, ranging from cookies to pysanky to religious icons to golden walnuts.  It was beautiful!

Cookies & pysanky

Icons, candles, gold-painted walnuts, a cool bird, and the Rusyn flag

Carpatho-Rusyn American!

Another pysanka

Straw angel!

Description of Rusyn Christmas traditions

If you're anywhere near Bethlehem, you should definitely check out this display.  There are trees representing a variety of ethnic groups, not just Eastern Europeans.  While you're in town you can visit Christkindlemarkt at Steel Stacks (former Bethlehem Steel).

Outside of Christkindlemarkt

Here's a bonus photo of another tree that really impressed me:

The Lithuanian tree was beautiful, with most ornaments made of straw.

No comments:

Post a Comment