Thursday, October 20, 2011

Traditional Korean Ghetto

I went to Korea back in May, and then never blogged about it. So now I'm blogging about it. Yay! 

Most of the trip was to help establish an exchange program between my alma mater and SolBridge International Business School in Daejeon.  We spent a lot of time on campus, stayed in the dorms with current students, and became good friends with some of the awesome people we met through the school.  One evening while walking from the school to Daejeon's Old Downtown, a friend asked if we had visited the ghetto.  Ghetto?  She took us around a corner we had all walked past a dozen times without blinking, and we were in the past.

Not a ghetto in the sense of dangerous-place-you-should-never-go-alone, this ghetto is one of the disappearing neighborhoods where you can still see old style Korean apartments, fonts that haven't been used in decades [those deemed uncool, I suppose], and a glimpse of Korea's past.  I noticed a pretty big lifestyle difference between urban and rural locations [similar to the US, really], but this older sort of neighborhood seemed to bridge the gap a bit.

I'm sure you'd rather look at photos than have me continue to ramble on...
You can view a few more on flickr:


Korea Past Korea Past
Korea Past Korea Past
Korea Past Tunnel!
Korea Past Old Style Apartments
Korea Past Gardens
Sewing Shop Fishies!
Narrow Alley Korea Past

No comments:

Post a Comment